8 Best Big Batch Cocktails
Big batch cocktails are the perfect antidote for fussy friends & family! There’s nothing worse than inviting your nearest and dearest round for a nice relaxing get together only for them each to have their bespoke list of requirements. Favourites are good but there is a time and place. I mean, no cousin Sheila I don’t have that one tequila you tried on your gap year trip to Thailand, SORRY!
There’s only so much one person can do, so instead of trying to be all things to all people why not do one BIG thing super well?
Here are 8 of our favourite big-batch tipples and recipes. Not only will these buckets of cocktails satisfy the masses during your upcoming socials, but they’re also super easy to make. Now you can have a chinwag, be present in the moment, and enjoy gorgeous cocktails all with that “yea I made this” smirk on your face… Love it!
STRAWBERRY PIMM'S CUP
If you're desperately trying to hold on to summer like we are then try our Strawberry Pimm's recipe. Be warned, holiday flashbacks likely!
- 500ml Pimm’s No. 1
- 4 handful of fresh mint
- 500ml ginger beer
- 16 cucumber slices
- 16 sliced strawberries
- 8 lemon slices
- 8 lime slices
- 4 lemon wedges
- 4 lime wedges
- Fill your jug with a mixture of ice, strawberries, cucumber slices, fresh mint, lemon slices and lime slices (save some strawberries or mint for garnish).
- Pour in the Pimm’s and squeeze in the lemon juice and lime juice from your wedges.
- Pour the ginger beer over the top, give it a gentle stir and garnish with the leftover mint or strawberry or lemon wedge.
- Drink up!
CARAMEL APPLE CIDER
This sweet cocktail is perfect for your upcoming autumnal parties with it's warm toffee apple qualities and is super quick to prepare!
- 250ml vodka (try Toffee Vodka for a sweetness overload!)
- 3 TableSpoons Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1L apple cider
- 120ml lemon juice
- 6ml grenadine
- 1 apple slice
- Add all the ingredients to a large pitcher.
- Mix well.
- Slice the apple and add them to the pitcher.
- Keep in the refrigerator until it is time to serve.
- Add ice to the rock glass and pour the punch. Make sure to add some fruits to the glass.
LEMONADE RUM PUNCH
A moreish cocktail... We recommend you double the quantities because your guests will want seconds!
- 400ml rum (a dark rum like Bumbu Craft works wonders!)
- 750ml vodka
- 1.5L lemonade
- 700ml pineapple juice
- Pour lemonade, pineapple juice and coconut rum into a pitcher filled with ice.
- Stir the drink gently with a spoon.
- Top with the dark rum, so it floats on top and slowly blends into the rest of the drink, giving it an ombré effect then serve.
WHISKY SOUR PATCH
This punch is a marriage of fruit and plenty of bourbon, a party starter if ever there was one!
- 500ml whisky (If you haven't already this is the perfect time to try Bulleit)
- 500ml club soda
- Lemonade (2 cups)
- 100g sugar
- 125ml water
- 500ml orange juice
- 500ml water
- 60ml squeezed lime juice
- Sliced lemons, oranges and maraschino cherries
- Place two cups of lemonade into two ice cube trays; freeze.
- Prepare the simple syrup by placing the water and sugar in a saucepan over medium high heat.
- Allow mixture to come to a boil, reduce heat and stir.
- Continue to heat mixture until the sugar has completely dissolved and mixture becomes thick.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Place simple syrup in a pitcher. Stir in orange juice, water, lime juice and bourbon and stir.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Place lemonade ice cube in cocktail glasses. Top with punch and garnish with citrus slices and maraschino cherries.
PEAR GINGER WHITE SANGRIA
Pears, ginger and oranges make this white sangria bright and fruity, without being too sweet.
- 1 bottle of your favourite riesling (we can't pick a favourite but Julian Schaal is blowing our minds right now!)
- 125ml brandy
- 3 pears, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 orange, cut into round slices
- 1 2-inch long piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- Combine ingredients in a large pitcher and stir.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve (remember the longer it sits, the better it tastes).
- Fill the pitcher the rest of the way with ice when ready to serve.
STRAWBERRY ROSE SANGRIA
If you've been around these parts for any amount of time you'll know that we love to drink pink. This Strawberry Rose Sangria is not only pink but LOTS of it!
- 1 bottle of rosé wine (Whispering Angel is never too far away when we get our recipe hats on)
- 125ml Chambord
- 125ml simple syrup
- 1 lemon sliced
- 1 orange sliced
- 250g strawberries hulled and quartered
- Ice for serving
- Mix all ingredients in a large pitcher and chill for 6 hours, or overnight.
- Serve over ice with fresh strawberries for garnish, and/or with soda.
This big batch cocktail balances the heat of scotch bonnet chilli peppers and cooling watermelon beautifully. An intriguing combination that will have your guests asking
- 500ml tequila (You HAVE to try this with Patron Silver Tequila... unreal!)
- 500g watermelon flesh cut into 1" cubes
- 32g cup sugar
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, halved
- 125ml lime juice
- Separate 1⁄4 of the watermelon cubes and freeze.
- Purée the remaining watermelon and strain; you should have about 8 cups juice.
- Boil sugar and 60ml water in a saucepan until sugar is dissolved.
- Add Scotch bonnet pepper halves and let syrup cool; strain into a pitcher.
- Stir in watermelon juice and frozen cubes, lime juice, and tequila.
THE INCREDIBLE HULK
It's big, it's green but it certainly is not mean. This eye-catching cocktail is a flamboyant mix of passion fruit, mint and white vodka and is a guaranteed conversation starter.
- 1 bottle of Captain Morgan White Rum
- 30g sugar
- 1L passion fruit juice
- 80ml fresh lime juice
- 35g mint leaves
- Thin-sliced lime wheels, for garnish
- Boil sugar with 60ml water in a saucepan until sugar is dissolved.
- Let simple syrup cool and transfer to a blender.
- Add passion fruit juice, rum, lime juice, and mint leaves;
- Purée until smooth.
- Strain into a pitcher, garnish with sliced limes.
- Serve chilled.